Teaching with Primary Sources
Find out how you can get connected with an extensive collection of digitized primary sources online at the largest library in the world. Participants will learn what primary sources are and understand their value in teaching. By the end of the workshop, be able to share your findings and begin using books as hooks to primary sources with your students.
- Gain a foundational understanding of effective instructional practices for teaching with primary sources.
- Analyze a set of resources and consider implementation in your education setting
- Explore the collections of primary sources sets from the Library of Congress Teacher page
- Search, Save, and create your own set of primary sources from the vast collections for the photos, maps, newspapers, sound recordings, manuscripts and music.
Sample Agenda Topics:
All workshops are customizable. Sample agenda topics include but are not limited to:
- Analysis tools
- Guided Tour of LOC Teacher Resources
- Analyzing Multiple Sources
- Inquiry Questioning Strategies
- Snapshot Autobiography
- Perspective and Purpose
- Indian Removal Act Activity
- Inquiry Deconstruction